This blogger might just be the world’s first yardie yarnie. Just to be clear – I do not want this getting back to my Mother, Father or in-laws. In this regard, TKK is counting on her dear brother to remember who kept all his tattoo news to herself.
It’s a long story the upshot of which is that in a few hours, I will acquire ½ a fleece. Raw, untreated & probably rather unclean wool. Shorn from a genuine Romney sheep here in Ontario this June. The fleece of a champion grey sheep. What possessed me? Ahh well…
- The price was right. $25 for this much wool – hello?! Sirdar’s 100% undyed virgin Eco Wool dk yarn sells for $6.99 around here. That’s $6.99 for 1¾ oz. How much does ½ a ram yield you ask? This one is 7 lbs for $25. I am not skipping the part where I’ll have to wash, dry, and then comb the locks into the actual raw wool. Then turn my hand at spinning. I know. I know. But still. Listen, if someone else does the dirty work the roving from Romney fleece starts at $25 per lb. My seller says she paid double for the raw fleece.
- Even my clueless yardie self knew that Romney wool is, to quote Martha, a good thing. It has an even crimp & is relatively low on the lanolin. That was my intuition. Boy was it a relief to then look it up & see many a yarnie recommend Romney as the starter wool for spinning!
- I liked the fact that it is natural grey wool. For all of this madness, I draw the line at spinning. Dyeing isn’t pulling at me.
- Yonder farm is inside of 100 miles by half. I am meeting my seller in the next town over.
- Drop spindles captivate me. In the same way knitting used to before I got the knack.
- Felting projects have been occurring to me over-night. Baby Sierra’s room might do well with a grey felted bunny, and so on.
- DH okayed the madness. He was shocked at the offer price – he’s caught on to what a sweater’s-worth of yarn costs. He wanted to trade permissions – I get this wool & he gets his coveted video card. Well that effort flopped – the video card is 10xs that wool!
All of which is very true. However, this might be a tad more bitten off than is chewable. Where/ how shall I store this baby? Can you hide 7 lbs of wool from a visiting in-law? FIL arrives in a week!
Baa Baa Black Sheep have you any wool?
No sir, no sir I’ve given it away
Three bags to a crazy yardie
Irieknit is her name
Back in the now… My Hottie Hottie tank top hit an equipment roadblock. My longer 4.0mm circular needle went missing. For all the searching, it was well & truly lost. One thing led to another, and now I have an Addi Turbo 4.0mm circ. Talk about getting the knit knack! Light, bright & beautiful.
Of course, I found the old aluminum needle the very next day… outside, chilling on the patio. How rude!
While I was in the LYS why not stash for my MK Carroll Tillie Cloche Hat?
Just as a parting pic – this here is a backyard butternut!