This post is going to read like an Ode to the Colour Purple no matter how much or little I go into the details. It is my happy place.
A few months ago, I shared about this nice act of aeroplane knitting. This is the late-breaking progress picture!
My gauge with 2.25 mm Dyakcraft needles is a snug 36 stitches = 4″ in pattern. The cast-on worked out at 72 cuff stitches. I pared the stitch repeat down by 3 stitches, and it still plays so nicely with this hand-painted yarn.
Last Saturday was the finish date for these socks, and I wore them immediately! The extended ribs are not on centre but I like them lots. The legs are 7″ long (3″ added), and I used 99g from the 115g skein.
The matchy-matchy new cardigan
Another new FO on the block this week is my Something Silver cardigan. Naturally, I called the project ‘Something Purple.’
Not only does this cardigan offer the all-over half diamond single lines of lace that are easy to follow but the garter stitch band conceals pockets.
As I have been chatting with my friend Sarah, the garter stitch neckline is pretty deep. If I had more yarn it would have gone towards an applied i-cord (or two) for that area.
This lived with me on & even briefly off the needles from August 20, 2014 – January 28, 2015.
This really is a good news story about over-dyeing a commercial yarn. It came to me as colourway 12 ‘dusty rose’ on the left there. Then it entered my exhaust bath of logwood chips in January 2013! There are flicks of deep pink in the yarn, and I love how it gives my cardigan a heathered effect.
The ensemble is made
Speaking of logwood, I had another dye session that took my breath away back in June 2013. This is my Harvey Columbia wool yarn spun on the CPW. All-time favourite shade, Yes!
The 4-ply woolen-spun yarn weighed 210 g when dry. I re-used an alum pot to pre-mordant, and let the yarn cool overnight in the prepared dyebath. It was an old logwood pot, and I added 20g of fresh chips.
Melvin decided to have a say in this yarn’s fibre content. It was spun on my Philias Cadorette CPW, and plied on the Spinolution MachII at 5:1 for 247 yards of 4-ply yarn.
Scale is important for understanding the project this went into, so bear with me.
The handspun yarn measured 10 wraps per inch on my spinner’s control card or in the worsted-weight range. It is 494 yards per pound. This is much heavier than a millspun worsted-weight yarn, which is 800 yards per pound. That difference showed in my project.
The pattern is Pinion by Naomi Parkhurst, and it calls for 110 yards of worsted-weight yarn. These are my 5.0 mm needles. The swatch was honest- I needed 2 less stitches to knit 4″ in stockinette than the pattern called for.
My tam has a sharper decrease section, and I decreased 8 extra stitches after doing the math for the brim.
Changing down a needle size to 4.5 mm helped to make the brim smaller, and I also modified the ribbing for more elasticity. Mine is K, [P, K]* x 3, P3.
At its widest we are 3″ larger diameter than Naomi’s pattern or 13″. Luckily, I had a big enough plate for the wet blocking! It used 153 yards of the yarn.
We haven’t taken any final pictures yet but I love the pattern, and am wearing my chunky purple tam!
Yes, I am still on this purple kick! Sheepspot‘s handdyed Columbia roving is now all spun up, and I now have 310 yards of 2-ply yarn from the 119 g. It was both spun & plied on my CPW.